Small businesses try their best to compete in a competitive landscape and because it can be challenging, time is a valuable commodity. Is spam taking up too much of your time? Do you find yourself deleting more messages than you read on a daily basis? There are a number of ways small businesses can be inundated with spam and there are a number of ways you can deal with it.
Tips for Business Owners:
- Be careful about subscribing to services, opening attachments, downloading plug-ins or free tools, and be careful about using technology without antivirus / intruder protection. You should safeguard all devices, including mobile phones.
- Implement strong security standards and educate anyone using company equipment about your policies.
- Consider blocking social media sites, which can result in not only a loss of productivity but in opening your organization up to vulnerabilities.
Ways to Minimize and Control Spam and Other Threats
- If you have a company blog and / or discussion forum install a spam filter, as it will catch a large percentage of spam messages that come in and will save you time moderating messages.
- Code your email address on your website so that it can’t automatically be picked up by bots (robots that gather addresses and then sell them for the purposes of spam / send out mass communications of unsolicited mail). Consider using a contact form instead of listing your email address on your website.
- Periodically examine your inbox to determine whether or not newsletters and other regular emails that come in need to send notifications. Consider unsubscribing if you are frequently archiving or deleting messages from the same senders without reading.
- Monitor content / usage. There are tools that can make this easier so that if a certain employee or certain website is bringing about extra spam, malware, or causing other problems with your network and / or productivity you can deal with the problem swiftly.
- Use business class tools to manage spam, content, encryption, storage, and threat protection. Kerio Control might be the perfect option for you to manage information and content flowing in and out of your organization. Learn more and / or request a demo here.